What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
A French dealer renowned for the sporty qualities of its small cars, Peugeot is as popular now as it was
nearly a hundred years ago. A part of PSA Peugeot Citroen, the family business that preceded the current
company was founded back in 1810, although in those days they manufactured bicycles and coffee mills!
While still known for its small, sporty and economical models, Peugeot now make a wide variety of differently
shaped and sized cars. You’ll also notice that Peugeot have defiantly skipped the long-standing trend of naming
their cars, instead choosing to use numbers and letters (3008, 5008, and RCZ, for example).
Today the range includes three sporty vehicles - the 208 and 308 GTi, which are hatchbacks, and the RCZ coupe,
among others. The range spans ultra compact cars to spacious SUVs, and family friendly vehicles to more flashier
options, like the aforementioned RCZ.
What do you need from your garage?
We all have different needs, and choosing a garage is no different. For some of us, it’s the quality of the overall
service which matters most; not just the work that’s done under the bonnet, but the human interaction that comes with it.
BookMyGarage allows you to compare Waltham Cross garages on everything from their waiting room refreshments or whether having
your toddler in tow is going to be a problem, to how clearly the staff can explain the work your car requires.