What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
A heritage German brand that has been a favourite for decades, it’s hard to throw a stone without
hitting someone who owns or has owned a Golf at some point in their life! It’s essentially a
rite of passage for anyone searching for a safe, reliable, and family-friendly car.
Interestingly, Volkswagen has three cars in the top 10 list of best-selling cars of all time -
the Volkswagen Golf, the Beetle, and the Passat. Not bad, right?
Known for their reliability and value for money, VWs have long served as a reasonably priced little
sibling to the more luxurious Audi, receiving excellent reviews across the board when it comes to
the motoring press. You’d be hard pressed to find a range of cars as practical, safety-conscious, attractive
and just generally good to drive as a Volkswagen.
What do you need from your garage?
We all have different needs, and choosing a garage is no different. For some of us, it’s the quality of the overall
service which matters most; not just the work that’s done under the bonnet, but the human interaction that comes with it.
BookMyGarage allows you to compare Spilsby garages on everything from their waiting room refreshments or whether having
your toddler in tow is going to be a problem, to how clearly the staff can explain the work your car requires.