What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
SEAT is a Spanish automobile manufacturer that was founded back in 1950 by the Instituto Nacional de Industria, a state-owned industrial holding company based near Barcelona. Currently a subsidiary of the German Volkswagen Group, this Spanish company is known for producing cars for a sportier, more youthful demographic. Producing cars and other vehicles using the Volkswagen platform has helped the Spanish brand build a reputation as makers of reliable, high-quality products, too.
SEAT has a variety of vehicles across the spectrum - from SUVs and crossovers to city cars and estates. They also offer some off-road cars with the Leon X-Perience, and a very spacious Alhambra that seats seven and offers great value for money.
About the SEAT Ibiza
The SEAT Ibiza is a supermini with good looks, a good engine and a lot in common with its Volkswagen rival, the VW Polo. It was updated by SEAT toward the end of 2015 with a new high-quality interior made of better materials than its predecessor, and with a new “infotainment” system that works with the driver’s smartphone to easily display apps.
Known for being easy to drive with a lovely gear change, light steering, and a very adaptive clutch, the Ibiza’s steering and suspension also had an update last year in hopes of improving the road quality of the car, making it more stable and a little more fun too.
What do you need from your garage?
This might sound like a question with an obvious answer: you need a garage that can service or repair your car quickly and
at a good price. But think again and you may realise there are other factors that affect your choice of garage in Paisley. If
you need to bring your son or daughter with you when you take your car in, are there toys in the waiting room? If you’re
dropping the car off between school and work, can you pick up a cup of coffee while you’re there? Might the garage even collect
your car and drop it back at your house after the work is done? You can find answers to all these questions on BookMyGarage.