What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
It’s safe to say a lot has changed since November 1911 in Detroit, when road racer Louis Chevrolet and General Motors founder Billy Durant created Chevrolet. In the century since then, the brand has come to embody the best of American automobile ingenuity, in good times and bad.
One of the biggest brands in the world, Chevrolet cars are sold in most every country today, and have been around since the very early days of Ford’s Model-T (which the company began selling in 1929). Based in the home of automobiles, Detroit, Michigan, the company has had their ups and downs, but are most famous for their brand of American muscle cars. Right now drivers are also loving their five year, 100,000 mile warranty offers.
Experts have said that the best car in their range is the Orlando, a seven-seat MPV that offers outstanding value for money, but gives a sadly lack-lustre driving experience. With the launch of the Volt in the UK, Chevy now has a vehicle that can make a difference in its line up, even if it’s only a niche car at the moment.
What do you need from your garage?
This might sound like a question with an obvious answer: you need a garage that can service or repair your car quickly and
at a good price. But think again and you may realise there are other factors that affect your choice of garage in Immingham. If
you need to bring your son or daughter with you when you take your car in, are there toys in the waiting room? If you’re
dropping the car off between school and work, can you pick up a cup of coffee while you’re there? Might the garage even collect
your car and drop it back at your house after the work is done? You can find answers to all these questions on BookMyGarage.