What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
Founded in 1944 as a maker of handmade steel tubing and bicycle parts, the company known today as Kia opened its first automotive assembly line in 1973 and built a small range of cars known as Brisa in 1981. After a bit of a lull, they really started pumping out the vehicles again in 1986, and partnered up with Ford.
Kia Motors Corporation is headquartered in Seoul, and is South Korea's second-largest auto manufacturer, just beyond Hyundai. According to Kia themselves, the name roughly translates to “rising out of Asia”. Nowadays they offer up a very impressive seven-year warranty on all their cars to please many drivers, and they are consistently rated highly across the board.
The style of older Kias on the road used to be quite questionable, but thanks to a modern makeover, cars from this Korean brand now sport stylish, trendy designs. The current range includes a wide spectrum of vehicles, from the compact Venga city car to the Sorento SUV. The Pro Ceed hot hatch is great for drivers looking for a better, stronger performance and Kia even offers the Soul EV, a fully electric vehicle, for those who after after eco-friendliness and cheap running costs.
What do you need from your garage?
You may live within walking distance of a garage which offers most of the services you need. However, by sticking
with the nearest garage in Hove you could be missing out on a better deal. What if a garage with a collection / drop
off service or courtesy car could do the same job at a good price, without the inconvenience of losing your car for the
duration of the repair? BookMyGarage allows you to search for local garages which offer this facility, and compare their
prices, all in one session.