What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
With a reputation for building stylish and efficient cars, Audi has become one of the most popular premium car makes in the UK and is known as one of the best-selling luxury automobiles in the world. An extensive catalogue of beautiful, practical and well-built cars provides something to suit almost every need and nearly every budget.
At the cheaper end of the spectrum, you’ll find the Audi A1, while on the other end you’ll find the stunning Audi R8, a “supercar” loaded with a V10 engine and happily existing alongside the likes of premium makes such as Ferrari.
A range of SUVs known as ‘Q’, and Quattro four-wheel drive options on many cars cater to the off-road market, while the hybrid technology known as e-tron has helped cut costs across the board for a large number of Audi drivers.
Driving in Haringey
The London Borough of Haringey is an exciting and community minded London Borough which is sometimes described as part of Inner London and sometimes as part of Outer London. It has a very varied demographic, with areas of high prosperity and extreme poverty. The wealthy zones of Highgate, Muswell Hill and Crouch End contrast dramatically with areas in the east of the borough which are some of the most deprived in the UK.