What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
The sixth biggest Japanese automaker and the sixteenth biggest worldwide automaker, Mitsubishi is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, where it was started in 1917. The brand now finds itself leading the field in creation of efficient hybrid technologies, such as the The Outlander PHEV (which stands for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle), while happily heading up the attack on global car markets, and is currently one of the best-selling hybrid vehicles on offer in the UK. The rest of the Mitsubishi range consists of cars like the economical Mirage, the sporty four-wheel drive Shogun, and the very family friendly ASX SUV.
About the Mitsubishi Lancer
The Mitsubishi Lancer was first launched in 1973, and is now in its ninth generation. It’s the first Lancer to be sold as a hatchback since the fifth generation was unveiled in 1988, and is one of the most practical models in Mitsubishi’s range. While it’s got lots of rave reviews from the 30,000 questioned in the Driver Power survey, there are still a few things to look out for. For example, some drivers have complained that the car cuts out for no apparent reason when in low gear. Something to watch!
What do you need from your garage?
We all have different needs, and choosing a garage is no different. For some of us, it’s the quality of the overall
service which matters most; not just the work that’s done under the bonnet, but the human interaction that comes with it.
BookMyGarage allows you to compare Etchingham garages on everything from their waiting room refreshments or whether having
your toddler in tow is going to be a problem, to how clearly the staff can explain the work your car requires.