What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
Known for their sensible, reliable range of cars, Honda is less varied than some of the brands out there, but still offers a thoughtful collection of very well made vehicles. The world’s largest motorcycle manufacturer since 1959, Honda joined the ranks and became the second largest Japanese automobile manufacture in 2001, and was eighth largest in the world as recently as 2011.
Honda was also the first Japanese manufacturer to release a pure luxury brand, Acura, in 1986. With vehicles ranging from the ultra-family friendly, practical CR-V and HR-V to the unique Type R, and the iconic four-wheeled NSX supercar, Honda has something for everyone.
How to be a better driver
Whether you’re driving in Caerphilly or further afield, think about road user etiquette. Showing respect for other road users
makes driving more pleasant for you and safer for everyone. For example, if you have to make a last minute change of lane, make
your request to change clear to the driver who will need to let you in - and signal your thanks if they do. Be ready to abandon
the change of lane if they won’t play ball - your safety (and that of other drivers and pedestrians) is more important than
getting to your destination in the shortest time possible. When the position is reversed and a driver asks your permission to
change lanes, allow them to as long as it is safe. If you get frustrated, avoid using your horn - it won’t improve matters and
might make them considerably worse.