What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
Lexus is the luxury vehicle division of Japanese automaker Toyota. The Lexus marque is marketed in over 70 countries and territories worldwide and has become Japan's largest-selling make of premium cars. The company is headquartered in Nagoya, Japan, with 0perational centers located in Brussels, Belgium, and southern California in the US.
Lexus has built up a reputation over the years for building high-quality, comfortable, technologically advanced cars. There isn’t anything particularly cheap and cheerful in its range, but you can expect to see a great selection of well-made, well-executed high end vehicles.
Lexus also was responsible for building the astonishing, no longer produced LFA supercar, which was the Japanese manufacturer’s first entry into the world of high-performance cars. The experiment ended up spawning a number of sporty coupe offerings.
What do you need from your garage?
You may live within walking distance of a garage which offers most of the services you need. However, by sticking
with the nearest garage in Bedford you could be missing out on a better deal. What if a garage with a collection / drop
off service or courtesy car could do the same job at a good price, without the inconvenience of losing your car for the
duration of the repair? BookMyGarage allows you to search for local garages which offer this facility, and compare their
prices, all in one session.