What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
Skoda has a long and storied history producing cars that are sold around the world! One of the five oldest companies producing cars today, with an unbroken history right alongside Daimler, Opel, Peugeot, and Tatra, the Skoda Works were initially established as an arms manufacturing plant in 1859. Since 1990 they’ve been part of the Volkswagen group, and this Czech brand is now known for producing a fine range of excellent value, high quality cars.
The current range comprises everything from the compact Fabia to the incredibly spacious Superb Estate with a mix of off-road and high-performance cars thrown in for good measure. The practical Yeti is an agile SUV with off-road capability, while the Octavia VRS offers sharp sports car speed.
On top of all that, customer satisfaction has consistently helped Skoda rank highly against more established competitors.
What do you need from your garage?
This might sound like a question with an obvious answer: you need a garage that can service or repair your car quickly and
at a good price. But think again and you may realise there are other factors that affect your choice of garage in Barnsley. If
you need to bring your son or daughter with you when you take your car in, are there toys in the waiting room? If you’re
dropping the car off between school and work, can you pick up a cup of coffee while you’re there? Might the garage even collect
your car and drop it back at your house after the work is done? You can find answers to all these questions on BookMyGarage.