What is a car alternator?
A car alternator keeps your car's battery charged, which is obviously important because a charged battery starts your car and powers everything electrical within it. It does so using a drive belt (sometimes referred to as a serpentine belt) to convert the mechanical energy of the car's rotating crankshaft into electricity through a process of induction.
What are the possible signs of a faulty alternator?
- Your car is difficult or slow to start.
- Growling, whirring, whining or squealing noises are emanating from your car's engine.
- Your car’s interior and exterior lights seem too dim, blink erratically, gradually fade, suddenly get brighter or don’t come on at all.
- The red light on your car’s dash with the image of a battery (or the words ALT or GEN) becomes illuminated.
- Your speedometer has stopped working.
- You can smell rubber burning.
- Your car fails a multimeter test at a garage.
What is the cause of a faulty car alternator?
- The component, a brush, which maintains constant electrical contact with the spinning alternator, becomes worn.
- The voltage regulator, which makes sure that the electrical charge is passed to the battery at the correct voltage, fails.
How long does a car alternator last?
- On average, a car alternator can last for 8-12 years without needing for any repairs.
How much does it cost to repair a faulty alternator?
- On average, it costs between £150-£300 to repair or replace a broken car alternator depending on the vehicle.
- Refurbished car alternators are available but do not offer that much of a cost saving.
How and where can I get a car alternator repaired?
- BookMyGarage is partners with over 9,000 garages in the UK so we can almost certainly find one to repair or replace your car.
- Go to bookmygarage.com, enter your car registration and postcode, and then press the search button.
- Sort the results by etc.
- Call one of our expert mechanics on 03304 004439 for help and advice if needed.
Proton is a Malaysian car manufacturer which set up shop in 1983 on the orders of the then Malaysian Prime Minister, whose aim was for the country to build its own national car. Today Proton exports to more than 50 countries worldwide including the UK, where it has been selling vehicles since 2009.
One of the most popular Proton models currently sold in the UK is the Gen-2, a family saloon which also comes in an ‘Ecologic’ dual-fuel variant. This gives you the option to run the car on LPG, which will save you money on fuel costs. The other main current models on offer are the Savvy, an inexpensive compact city car, and the Satria Neo, a 3 door supermini.
Proton’s partnership with Lotus engineering has led to improved steering and cornering; the Gen-2 in particular gains plaudits from drivers for its comfortable ride. However, in general Proton drivers frequently report noisy engines, as well as bemoaning the interior’s rather cheap look and feel.
What do you need from your garage?
We all have different needs, and choosing a garage is no different. For some of us, it’s the quality of the overall
service which matters most; not just the work that’s done under the bonnet, but the human interaction that comes with it.
BookMyGarage allows you to compare Barnet garages on everything from their waiting room refreshments or whether having
your toddler in tow is going to be a problem, to how clearly the staff can explain the work your car requires.